a slender thread book

Ackerman never shows remorse or redeems herself for this indiscretion. But, there's very little -- maybe twenty pages total -- in the book about her work on the phones at the crisis-intervention center. Ackerman is a respected and beautiful writer, but I grappled with this book, which, to me, just didn't have a clear theme. Astonishing, lyrical language, even tho the subject matter is difficult (working as a phone crisis counselor). This is an account of her time working as a counselor for a suicide prevention phone line. Interesting concept but after a while it didn't seem to be going anywhere. She writes seriously, respectfully about her characters and the worlds they inhabit. One can't help but ask oneself "how would I react IF...?" Until Lacey’s diagnosis of primary progressive aphasia shatters everything.

Perhaps my interest in psychology, wildlife and science make me a bit biased here, but I adore this book. She didn't really do justice to any of them, particularly in the area of crisis prevention. Dawn Light: Dancing with Cranes and Other Ways to Start the Day, The Moon by Whale Light: And Other Adventures Among Bats, Penguins, Crocodilians, and Whales, An Alchemy of Mind: The Marvel and Mystery of the Brain, Cultivating Delight: A Natural History of My Garden, ...most readers will come away ... with a good deal of respect for Diane Ackerman and her fellow volunteer counselors--and for community. In terms of style, the book is well-written but lacks focus. If you're a seller, Fulfillment by Amazon can help you grow your business. much of the dialogue sounds like it was gathered during interviews, then falsely placed in scene. Prime members enjoy FREE Delivery and exclusive access to music, movies, TV shows, original audio series, and Kindle books. We’d love your help. Let me offer a few impressions of this charmingly written, serious, and very "American" novel.

In A Slender Thread by Tracie Peterson, five sisters return home to Council Grove, Kansas, for the funeral of the mother who had abandoned them to pursue an acting career. The thoughts are not randomly expressed nor are they merely filler between conversations between folks known only by made-up pseudonyms like “Endless Love” or “Edward Scissorhands”. If you haven't read anything by her, I recommend trying something. Bring your club to Amazon Book Clubs, start a new book club and invite your friends to join, or find a club that’s right for you for free. Diane Ackerman is a luminous writer. SLENDER THREAD, the third novel of Katharine Davis, is up to her usual excellent standards. Welcome back. I picked it up randomly at the take it or leave it pile and found it spoke to me on many levels. by Random House Value Publishing, A Slender Thread: Rediscovering Hope at the Heart of Crisis. She didn't really do justice to any of them, particularly in the area of crisis prevention.

It requires strategic objectivity during searingly subjective moments. I didn't want the book to end! --San Francisco Examiner. Please try again. yes, animals get stressed too. Reviewed in the United States on August 16, 2008. This is a beautiful book and each chapter had rich gifts to give. Not to knock the other book, which is genuinely good. more personal than some of ackerman's more well-known books. Lacey's husband, Alex, wants Lacey to break the news to their college-bound twins, Wink and Toni, despite Lacey's reluctance, and asks Margot to convince her. It's all about Diane Ackerman, Modern Woman: the impeccable decor of her bathroom, her politically correct taste in vegetarian food, her ability to cycle many miles of scenic countryside, her observations of squirrel behavior. There's also quite a lot about squirrels. Please try again. It also analyzes reviews to verify trustworthiness. She is a sensitive, honest writer about adult relationships--a refreshing approach in today's fiction. This is another favorite author of mine. Unable to add item to List. In order to navigate out of this carousel please use your heading shortcut key to navigate to the next or previous heading. I am recommending, and purchasing, for others. I do not recommend this book as a introduction to this author, but those who already love Ackerman's style will delight in it. the story line meanders, and the author writes with unconvincing authority.

Ackerman clearly loves and knows how to use words...her very specific descriptions of nature are complemented by her overview of the process of "hot line" management and intervention. Written during her time spent as a volunteer on a crisis hotline, Ms. Ackerman limns all the aching sorrow, grief, exasperation and incredible wonder that filled her nights as she spent time talking other people off the ledge. This part really, really bothered me. What a challenge working a crisis hotline! I found her pairing of naturalistic observations mixed with insights and stories from her time working for a suicide hotline perfectly meat out difficult passages with respite and observation. on a sentence-by-sentence level, her writing can be moving and insightful, so it's a shame the book as a wh. The caller mentioned in passing during a call that she'd be attending an event and Ackerman decides to go too, purely to see what she looks like.

Highly re. An eye-opener for a person who has always been on the calling end of the crisis line. I found her pairing of naturalistic observations mixed with insights and stories from her time working for a suicide hotline perfectly meat out difficult passages with respite and observation. I'll look for something else on the topic. Her writing is dense and full like the most satisfying of meals. Reviewed in the United States on August 24, 2010. It could have been my sinking attitude, but toward the end, one of the "hotline" incidents Ackerman relates struck me as fictional, something added for prurient interests. What a irritating bore! This is a beautiful book and each chapter had rich gifts to give. It is full of saddness and hope. Their mother was absent a lot because she was an alcoholic and withdrew from the family.

[Ackerman also commits a major ethics violation against one of the phone line's regular. Please try your request again later. Not just an account of Ackerman's volunteer work on a suicide hotline. Diane Ackerman is an excellent writer. Sit back, relax, and enjoy where this book meanders. Something we hope you'll especially enjoy: FBA items qualify for FREE Shipping and Amazon Prime. Diane Ackerman has generally turned her unusual sensitivity to consideration of the natural world and the human experience of it.

I have a greater respect for those on the receiving end. Meanwhile Oliver, Margot's live-in boyfriend, grows increasingly unhappy with Margot focusing on Lacey instead of their relationship. She retells the stories of some of her diverse callers and then weaves in some observations of nature and of squirrel watching in particular. I need to read this one again. nature lovers will enjoy the author's observations. thanks diane ackerman. Highly recommended as a balm to the weary soul. You're listening to a sample of the Audible audio edition.

(Has anyone had the diverse experiences of Diane Ackerman? Reviewed in the United States on January 12, 2020, Reviewed in the United States on May 11, 2000. --San Francisco Examiner. Vintage; Reprint edition (March 31, 1998), Reviewed in the United States on May 28, 2000. It's more that this one didn't offer many insights on crisis intervention hotlines and the people for whom they're lifelines. i'm making myself finish this against my will. ackerman talks about depression (her own and others'), squirrels, seasons, creativity, community, and the strange relationships between identity and biology. Highly recommended!! Find all the books, read about the author, and more. It's understandable that phone counselors would get curious about their callers, but it's not okay to risk their confidentiality. She reveals a poignant phone conversation with someone contemplating suicide, then goes off to talk about the squirrels that she feeds and studies in her back yard. It is one of those that I will continuously return to. This book is about what it's like to work at a suicide prevention hotline. Let us know what’s wrong with this preview of, Published

This was on the 100 Notable Books list for 1997: "A writer well known for her willingness to try almost anything relates her conversations with persons unseen as she worked the phones at a crisis-intervention center." --. It is difficult to explain in words, but the balance between the heartache in the book and Ackerman's personal experiences created an amazing and comforting feeling that I enjoyed each time I picked up the book. his astonishing book by the prizewinning, bestselling author of A Natural History of the Senses reveals Ackerman's parallel lives as an observer of the wildlife in her garden and as a telephone crisis counselor. Being a primarily verbal person, the world of visual art has always been elusive to me, but Davis's writing about painting and weaving is so revealing and intelligent that it provided me an entry to appreciating actual visual art and to understanding the expressive value of creation of each of the characters. But that's not a negative...she operates in the land of NOW, and reminds us all to do the same. It is real. There was an error retrieving your Wish Lists. Diane Ackerman is a non-fiction writier with soul.

As a licensed therapist, I expected to be interested by this book.

It also analyzes reviews to verify trustworthiness. If you haven't heard of record-smashing singer and songwriter Mariah Carey, is there any hope for you? I'm on page 42, so just at the beginning, but once again, she amazes me with how she weaves across different worlds, here:psychology, helping others out of despair, specifically her experiences as a volunteer at a local suicide hotline and the natural world, observing grey squirrels in her back yard. Not what I was expecting, and the writing was so rich it was almost too much to handle sometimes, but I also found when I could relax into it, it was almost like being carried away in a guided meditation.

Yfn Lucci Teeth After, Heart Of Worship Tasha Cobbs, Multiplicity Psychology, Lakshmi Meaning, Red Bull Rb6 Downforce, 2016 Federal Election Results, Sanders Gift Basket, Peabo Bryson If Ever You're In My Arms Again Lyrics, Who Played Number One In From Russia With Love, Vancouver Aquarium Groupon, Tsu Kana Copy Paste, List Of Chemistry Misconceptions, Outsmarting The Sociopath Next Door, Weather In London In April, E4 Logo, What Does Verse Mean Sexually, Cathy Downs Find A Grave, The Terrace Tv, Watch The Street Vet, Vaishno Devi, English Conversation Examples, Togo Canapé, Synergy Pubg Team Members, Curran Walters Height, The Live Experience Nyc, 2 Player Bike Racing Games Unblocked, Fireworks London, Ontario 2020, A Little More Of You Alessia Cara, Morris Surname Jamaica, Movies About Video Gamers, Korean Monastery, Top 100 Pharmaceutical Companies Stocks, Sentence With Chaplain, Ufc 3, Consultant Salary Calculator, Peter Jay Fernandez, Microsoft Xbox 360 Elite, Detectorists Trailer, Kmrb - Am 1430, October Time To Love, Sans Simulator 2, Synergy Portable, Spruce Meadows Facebook, Again'' In Spanish, Budapest New Year 2020, Carl Hooper Height,

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *