ajit wadekar death

Ajit Wadekar led the Indian cricket team to overseas Test wins against England and the West Indies back in 1971.

RIP. On 15 August 2018, Wadekar died due to illness at Jaslok Hospital, Mumbai, at the age of 77. [3] Following India's dismal performance in the series, he retired from international cricket.

He never scolded me. Very sad news this ! In 1972, Wadekar was awarded India’s fourth highest civilian honor, Padmashri.

Wadekar made his debut for India in 1966 against the West Indies in his home city, having made his first-class debut for Bombay in 1958.

Ajit Wadekar death: A ‘personal loss’ for many cricketers. A great batsman & wonderful captain, he led our team to some of the most memorable victories in our cricketing history. Khachanov, Raonic suffer early exits in Dubai. Just got the news that former captain of Indian cricket team & iconic batsman, Shri Ajit Wadekar is no more.

Most cricketers from the Indian team that he managed in the 1990s looked up to him as a guiding force. Independent Premium Comments can be posted by members of our membership scheme, Independent Premium.

Cricketers and sports journalists including Ayaz Memon, Boria Mazumdar and Harsha Bhogle led tributes to Wadekar on Twitter. India’s Prime Minister Narendra Modi said in a statement after news of Wadekar’s passing spread, “Ajit Wadekar will be remembered for his rich contribution to Indian cricket. Due to the sheer scale of this comment community, we are not able to give each post the same level of attention, but we have preserved this area in the interests of open debate. The left-handed batsman scored 2,113 runs at an average of 31.07 in … The man who led the original Indian cricket Revolution in 1971 in West Indies and England is no more. He made no needless demands of the players because he knew the strengths and weaknesses of an individual.

Wadekar was appointed the captain of Bombay, and soon was made the captain of the Indian cricket team in 1971, leading a side that included players like Sunil Gavaskar, Gundappa Viswanath, Farokh Engineer, and the Indian spin quartet that included Bishen Bedi, E.A.S. New Delhi: Former Indian cricket captain Ajit Wadekar breathed his last on August 15, 2018 in Mumbai after a prolonged illness.

Always treated me with lot of compassion.

He would always encourage us to learn and improve.”. He was also respected as an effective cricket administrator.

Former Indian cricket captain, coach and chief selector Ajit Wadekar passed away on August 15, Independence Day night in Mumbai, after a prolonged illness. #AjitWadekar. He represented India in its first ever One Day International (ODI) game during that tour. While a student at Elphinstone College, Wadekar was studying to become an engineer at his father’s behest, Wadekar met fellow Indian cricket legend Baloo Gupte.

Sir, will miss you ! Wadekar is best remembered for captaining the Indian team to a 1-0 series win in the Caribbean in 1971 and then beating England by the same margin later in the year. Your support for our journalism is invaluable.

India won over five matches in the West Indies in the early 1970s, and then defeated England over three.

It was my fortune to have had Mr. Wadekar as the mentor of a team which was coming up with so many youngsters. He knew the game so well. Printable version | Oct 31, 2020 3:03:25 AM | https://www.thehindu.com/sport/cricket/ajit-wadekar-death-a-personal-loss-for-many-cricketers/article24699416.ece.

Wadekar also captained the Indian cricket team which won series in the West Indies and England in 1971(first victory of Indian team in test cricket outside of India was recorded in 1968 under the captaincy of Tiger Pataudi against New Zealand). Pained by his demise. Share: Written By: Zee Media Bureau.

— Harsha Bhogle (@bhogleharsha) August 15, 2018, During the 1990s, Wadekar became one of the few Indian players to represent the country as a Test player, captain, coach and the chairman of selectors. Tributes to the legendary cricketer immediately began pouring in on social media, as fans hailed “the man who led India to first Test series victories in England West Indies, both in 1971”. He batted at number three and was considered to be one of the finest slip fielders. The former batsman and chief selector of India's cricket team had been sick for some time.

Described as an "aggressive batsman", Wadekar made his first-class debut in 1958, before making his foray into international cricket in 1966. “He was superb as a coach. I don’t think he was a task master because he was always for you. He made his first-class debut for Bombay in 1958–59, before making his international debut in Test in December 1966, against the West Indies at the Brabourne Stadium in Bombay. Former India cricket captain Ajit Wadekar, who led the team to historic test series victories in West Indies and England in 1971, has died at the age of 77 after a prolonged illness.

My condolences to the friends & family! Under him, India won five matches in the West Indies in the early 1970s before beating England in a three-match series.

For former India captain Mohammad Azharuddin, the passing away of ‘a gentleman’ was a personal loss.

My deepest condolences to his family, friends and fans! RIP Sir, you will always be missed!”.

Rest in peace!The man at helm for India's first Test series victories on foreign soil. You can also choose to be emailed when someone replies to your comment.

His international career lasted until 1974. He was a symbol of everything that was nice. [11], Indian Cricket Team for the physically challenged, "Former India captain Ajit Wadekar dies aged 77", "Prudential Trophy – 1st ODI England v India", "Statistics / Statsguru / AL Wadekar / One-Day Internationals / Innings by innings list", "Wadekar to get BCCI lifetime achievement award", "Ajit Wadekar: Former India captain dies aged 77", "Ajit Wadekar cremated with full state honours - Times of India", Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports (India), https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Ajit_Wadekar&oldid=974360422, Coaches of the Indian national cricket team, Short description is different from Wikidata, All Wikipedia articles written in Indian English, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, This page was last edited on 22 August 2020, at 15:06. On 15 August 2018, Wadekar died due to illness at Jaslok Hospital, Mumbai, at the age of 77.

“He was a mentor to me and Sachin (Tendulkar) and I shall cherish the long dinners we enjoyed with Ajit sir.

He was actually an institution.

A fine batsman,a wonderful coach and a great administrator #AjitWadekar will always be remembered by cricket lovers for the cricketing memories specially the overseas triumphs against England & the West Indies. Sad at the passing of Ajit Wadekar, one of Indian cricket’s finest left-handed batsman and captain during the iconic overseas test victories in 1971 in the Caribbean and England. Most cricketers from the Indian team that he managed in the 1990s looked up to him as a guiding force.

Please continue to respect all commenters and create constructive debates.

Former Indian cricket team captain Ajit Wadekar died at the age of 77 in Mumbai after a prolonged illness. Vinod Kambli would call himself a ‘son’ of Wadekar. Made this kid's month, even my year. Powered by.

Wadekar, who played 37 Tests, led India to historic triumphs in the West Indies and England in the 1970s.

Ajit Wadekar has died at the age of 77 in Mumbai. However, we have a request for those who can afford to subscribe: please do. जागतिक पातळीवर भारताच्या क्रीडा अस्तित्वाची यशस्वी मोहर उमटवणारा क्रिकेटविश्वाचा उमदा तारा निखळला. One long-ago afternoon, I walked from Babulnath to a Marine Drive Gymkhana to watch Ajit Wadekar bat in some minor league match. Start your Independent Premium subscription today. Will Friedle won’t be in Disney’s live-action ‘Kim Possible’ movie, ग्रैंड फिनाले से पहले Taapsee Pannu से साधा 'Bigg Boss 13' पर निशाना, कहा- 'लोगों को हिंसा देखकर मजा क्यों…', Australia’s new polite approach will not affect Virat Kohli, says Ravi Shastri, Father, two brothers of Sri Lanka suicide bombings mastermind killed in gun battle, China imports stuck at India ports show standoff casualties, Udupi Krishna Mutt to extend darshan hours from Nov. 4, Mukesh Ambani loses $5 billion as oil sinks Reliance shares, Covid-19 warriors, survivors wield pen as pandemic inspires fiction, Naseeruddin Shah on working with Sean Connery in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: ‘He was happy sitting around in his undershirt’, ‘Watch Dogs: Legion’ review: don’t miss this open-world video game, equipped with bold features, David Alaba on course to leave Bayern Munich after contract talks break down, Lahore Confidential teaser: Of love and India-Pakistan conflict. The Indian Express reports that the left-handed batsman died in Mumbai’s Jaslok Hospital. Zee News reports that the sad news of Wadekar’s death first broke on August 15 but it’s not clear on what date he passed away. Sir, will miss you ! The Times of India reported in March 2012 that Wadekar’s cricket career began by chance. Page in Indian cricket and in our memories. Yes, he would sometimes take me to task but that too with a smile. After that he became a part of the regular team, and went on to play 37 Test matches for India between 1966 and 1974, generally batting at number three. England tour of India, 4th Test: India v England at Kanpur, Jan 25-30, 1973. How important are the B and C markets to today’s Tamil cinema?

Wadekar typically batted at number three.

“I could joke with him.

Indian test cricketers arriving at London Airport for the start of their tour - pictured is team captain Ajit Wadekar, UK, 18th June 1971. He led India to a third successive series victory, beating England cricket team again, 2–1 in a five-match series in 1972–73. “At times, one could not make out from his smile if he was angry or happy. He had a personal equation with everyone.

Copyright © 2020 National Herald. [8], Wadekar was honoured with the Arjuna Award, instituted by the Government of India to recognise sporting talents. “Of late, we used to communicate a lot on WhatsApp until he took ill,” said an emotional Kambli.

Most cricketers from the Indian team that he managed in the 1990s looked up to him as a guiding force. The left-handed batsman scored 2,113 runs at an average of 31.07 in 37 tests with a hundred and 14 half-centuries.

pic.twitter.com/ILb3Qn6mRz, Sad to know of passing away of Ajit Wadekar, India’s successful crcket captain,after a prolonged illness. Much admired, much loved.

Former Indian Test skipper Ajit Wadekar passed away tonight after prolonged illness.

So many memories of Ajit Wadekar.

Watch | How is the President of United States elected? He was a gentleman. info); 1 April 1941 – 15 August 2018) was an Indian international cricketer who played for the Indian national team between 1966 and 1974. You can find our Community Guidelines in full here.

Brands Of Boats, Colts Vs Patriots Afc Championship, Batman Beyond Blu-ray Funko Pop, Cricket Victoria Annual Report, Zebrahead Rescue Me, Donte' Stallworth Stats, Reddit Streams Alternative, Him Band Symbol, Adesanya Record, Boxing Ring Construction, Wholesale Abaya Suppliers In Dubai, Vintage Crop Melbourne Cup 1993, One Night With The King Full Movie 123movies, 4 Disciplines Of Execution Scoreboard Template, At Any Price Book, Do You Really Love Me Quotes, Synerprise Payment, Mike Birbiglia Stranger In The Night, Unincorporated Areas Of Thurston County, Top 100 Pharmaceutical Companies In World 2020, Priyatama Cast, Past Winning Lotto Numbers, Ea Sports Mma Ps3, Outdoor Movie Night Ideas, Mitch Perry Guitar Wiki, Meaning Of Pobble, Me Vs Me Fitness, Man Utd Vs Aston Villa 2005, Won't God Do It, Son Of Kong Pedal, Cowboys Bills 2007 Score, Indoor Plant Pots With Saucers, The Diamond As Big As The Ritz Short Story, Laura Brown Love Island, G Herbo - Ptsd Review, Chaos Theory Textbook Pdf, Bubbles Costume, Traditional Chinese Fishing Boats, London Places To Visit In December, Used Xbox One S Cheap, Nintendo Wii Prezzo, One-to-one Function Calculator, Radio 1600 Am, Alan Ball Trainers For Sale, How To Unblock Bluetooth On School Chromebook, Pearl's Restaurant, Razorback Baseball Score, Barb Meaning Tiktok, Bug Counting Mats, Tangerines Film Wikipedia,

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *