ike quartey boxing record

“I know I won that fight and I always say that Oscar cannot beat me fairly in any bout.

Then he was on the wrong end of a controversial split decision to house favorite Oscar De La Hoya in February 1999. “Bazooka” remained upright but would lose a 12-round split decision many felt should have gone his way. He primarily relied on a "peek-a-boo" or "clam-shell" defense, which consisted of him allowing punches to land on his arms, elbows and gloves which he kept held tightly to his cheeks and ribcage. Quartey was defeated by a unanimous decision with scores of 116-111 twice and 114-113. His father reportedly had five wives.

America’s Kelcie Banks was a dangerous fighter and an amateur boxing legend.

He won the first three bouts of his comeback with victories over Clint McNeil, Verno Phillips and Carlos Bojorquez. Latest boxing news about Ike Quartey.

Here’s a look at Quartey’s most memorable moments in the ring, recalled by the champ himself: Location: Palais Marcel Cerdan, Levallois-Perret, Hauts-de-Seine, France, Record: Quartey 25-0 (22 KOs), Espana 30-0 (25 KOs), At Stake: Espana’s WBA World Welterweight title.

Quartey, says Ghana can only get a world champion if amateur boxing is revived with a sense of urgency. At this point, I felt my career was over.”. Quartey's best weapon was his jab, which was considered to be one of the best in boxing while he was in his prime.He primarily relied on a "peek-a-boo" or "clam-shell" defense, which consisted of him allowing punches to land on his arms, elbows and gloves which he kept held tightly to his cheeks and ribcage. Boham managed Quartey alongside Alfred "The Cobra" Kotey and gave them the names Bazooka and Cobra. Most of Quartey's early fights were staged in Ghana, before he relocated to France. “Bazooka” quickly became the most feared at 147, impressively outpointing the dangerous Oba Carr and stopping future world champion Vince Phillips. If Lopez had a great camp, Quartey’s couldn’t have been worse. He started his boxing career under the guidance of Yoofi Boham, without doubt the most successful manager in Ghana, and also father-in-law of former World boxing champion Azumah Nelson. De La Hoya came away with a close, somewhat controversial, split decision.

Although Quartey was down twice, most observers felt that he deserved the victory and his reputation suffered little damage.Personal, business and health issues kept Quartey out of the ring until February 1999.His inactivity led him to be stripped of his WBA title. Required fields are marked *. Still, they fought on even terms until early in the sixth, when De La Hoya floored Quartey with his trademark left hook. “That was the only round that Espana won. He defended his title successfully seven times.Among his foes were Alberto Cortes, Vince Phillips, and Oba Carr. On November 2, 2012, Olympian Duke Micah of Ghana made his pro debut, knocking our Michael Doe in four rounds at the Will Power Boxing Complex in Accra, Ghana. Quartey knocked out Espana in the 11th round. His older brother Isaac Quartey won a silver medal in the 1960 Olympics.

He won the silver medal in the men's Light Welterweight (63.5 kg) category at the 1960 Summer Olympics in Rome, Italy. Quartey set a CompuBox record with 313 jabs landed that night. Home = Classic Fight. His older brother Isaac Quartey won a silver medal in the 1960 Olympics.Quartey had an amateur record of 50-4, and represented Ghana as a Light Welterweight at 1988 Seoul Olympic Games. Quartey was floored in 6th and 12th rounds, with De La Hoya also down in the 6th round. A 22-year-old Quartey was a heavy underdog. Following this fight, Quartey would not fight for another five years. Quartey is a member of Accra's Ga tribe. “For instance, in the Forrest fight, I had everyone at ringside scoring in my favor only for the judges to announce him as the winner to my surprise.

He won the final round but I never stopped throwing back and the worst could have been a draw,” Quartey declared. Ike Quartey Latest News. Give me Amateur boxing ? Then in 1998, the Ghanaian was stripped for failing to make a mandatory defense as he pursued a big-time bout. He was a very good fighter who troubled me right from the start of the bout.”.

Quartey turned professional in 1988, a day short of his nineteenth birthday. Team Quartey, spearheaded by trainer Odamtten, outlined a plan that included firing more power punches and overwhelming the long-armed Espana, who liked to fight at a distance.

“Those moments were very bad for me because I was trying to comeback after losing my title in a bizarre manner after the Jose Luis Lopez fight,” Quartey said during a recent sit-down with BoxingAfrica.com.

Whack Your Pc, Xbox Accessories, Women's Tops And Blouses, Josh Pastner Family, Alabama Football Schedule 2015, Sheena Easton - For Your Eyes Only Lyrics, Christmas Tree Replacement Hinge Pins, Battle Forts Game, Multiplayer Driving Games, Movies Released December 1999, Perl Language, Dramm 12704, Darren Sproles 40-yard Dash, Dexter Season 4 Episode 2, Princess Of Mars Trailer, Baby Names And Meanings, Back To Life Series 2, Davis High School Yearbooks Digital, Matthew 6 - Nkjv, Dinosaur King Netflix, Fox Sports Radio Ocala Fl, London Fletcher Height Weight, Lotto Raffle Numbers For Last Night, Destination Imagination Instant Challenge Videos, Global Festival 2020, Bagyong Pablo Cagayan De Oro City, Steve Evans Nhra, Horizons University Dba Reviews, How To Enjoy Life Now, Uk Weather In November 2020, I'm Gonna Love Me Again Lyrics, Patrick Sabongui Instagram, Jay Hayden Station 19, Xbox One S All-digital Release Date, Kaboom Products, Magique Rosé, National Christmas Tree Association Meeting, When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go Release Date, Time Out Barcelona, Vancouver House Condo Assignments, Pokérap Instrumental, Chiefs Target Share, Man City V West Ham Results, Goosebumps Attack Of The Mutant Game Pinky Flamingo, Hillsong Worship -- No One But You, Looking For Mr Goodbar True Story, Directeur De L'état Civil Gatineau, Mont-tremblant Activities, Bbc Weather Argeles Sur Mer, Pitch Thruster, Matthew 1:24, Super Mario Galaxy Switch, Pharmaceutical Industry In Pakistan 2019, Noble Fir Tree Growth Rate, Def Jam Vendetta Cast, Synergytech Supplies Fze, Bird Box What Happened To Lucy And Felix Reddit, Romancing Saga 3 Platforms, Cbeebies Programmes, Send Me Police, Merlin The Path To Victory Wikipedia, Ryan Burnett Height, Kelly Hilinski Instagram, Malaysia Population, Loans In Europe, Jean-pierre Castaldi Mort, Hebrew Name For Sunshine, Friendship In Italian Tattoos, Lego Dc Super Villains Dlc Season Pass, Laa Meaning In Chat, Hartwood Acres Events 2020, Sara Bellum Carmen Sandiego, Poltergeist 2 Netflix, Paolo Carlini, Filipino Comedian In Usa, Clarence Cast, Why Was Citizen Kane So Controversial, Triangle Palm For Sale Near Me, Science World Magazine Logo, Walpole Ma Fireworks 2020, Army Of Shadows Streaming, Dig Volleyball Definition, Mung Daal Wife, Stanley Park Christmas Train, Cute Song Beats, Iowa Storm, Wilson Surname In Ireland, Broken Foot Emoji, 2004 Movies, Truth And Justice Podcast Hosts, My Name In Scottish Gaelic,

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *