the last metro criterion

The DVD and Blu-ray look to come from the same hi-def transfer as they share many similarities. Against all odds—a Jewish theater manager in hiding; a leading man who’s in the Resistance; increasingly restrictive Nazi oversight—the troupe believes the show must go on. This shopping feature will continue to load items when the Enter key is pressed. The DVD’s transfer was still a stunner, but the Blu-ray improves on a few of the DVD’s shortcomings, presenting the film almost perfectly. Those three names alone are more than reason enough to become engrossed this wonderful drama. You can confirm your order details before purchasing.

I can't recommend this film highly enough. Get info about new releases, essays and interviews on the Current, Top 10 lists, and sales. Love these older, interesting and odd European cinematic experiences, subtitles and all! It sounds as though Truffaut had something closer to a black-and-white film in mind, but Almendros went with a red monochrome look, having a majority of the sets painted warm yellows and reds. Visualizing The Last Metro – (1080p, 9:34) interviews with camera assistants Florent Bazin and Tessa Racine where they discuss their work with Nestor Almendros. You'll also find in-depth discussions on world cinema. Equal parts romance, historical tragedy, and even comedy, The Last Metro (Le dernier metro) is Truffaut’s ultimate tribute to art overcoming adversity.

Moving on from the commentaries to the supplements section of this release we first come across a lone deleted scene running about 5-minutes. The Last Metro captures the tension of occupied Paris, Reviewed in the United States on November 13, 2010. The opening still sounds a little rough but the rest of the film’s soundtrack is much better. [General Film Discussion] / Mon Nov 02, 2020 03:00:44 PM, [BFI DVDs and Blu-rays] / Mon Nov 02, 2020 02:57:40 PM, [The Criterion Collection] / Mon Nov 02, 2020 02:51:06 PM, Star Wars: Original/Prequel Trilogies & General Thread, [Masters of Cinema Rumours and News] / Mon Nov 02, 2020 02:32:25 PM, [Filmmakers] / Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:59:47 PM, [General Film Discussion] / Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:43:06 PM, [Boutique Labels] / Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:06:42 PM, Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7, [Criterion Rumors and News] / Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:45:31 AM, [Second Run DVDs and Blu-rays] / Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:42:40 AM, [General Film Discussion] / Mon Nov 02, 2020 09:35:08 AM, [The Criterion Collection] / Mon Nov 02, 2020 09:34:17 AM, [Second Run DVDs and Blu-rays] / Mon Nov 02, 2020 08:56:57 AM, [Filmmakers] / Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:29:49 AM, This site is not affiliated with The Criterion Collection. Certain releases from Criterion look similar to one another on both DVD and Blu-ray and in most regards the same can be said here, but the Blu-ray shows some more obvious improvements over the DVD release. The most memorable scene in the film for me was the scene within the play where Depardieu, in character, professes his love for Deneuve's character and it is clear to the viewer that these feelings have transcended the play. They also share some funny anecdotes about Almendros’ absent-minded nature. True story. Francois Truffault, who has always terrified me as a true "art" director, comes across in this film with warmth and humor; not only that, one get to learn a little about Paris under the Nazis and how people "coped."

Just as Melville used the gangster film to examine notions of legality, legitimacy, authority and criminality in a period when the Resistance were outlaws and the police were rounding up Jews for the death camps, so Truffaut takes the beloved putting-on-a-show warhorse, and uses it as a metaphor for the conditions of life in Occupied France: the need to act, adapt and continually discard roles. This one I was actually looking forward to and in the end I have mixed feelings about it. Gereard Depardieu plays the lead opposite Deneuve in the play & the sexual tension that grows between him & Deneuve, coupled with the growing fear her husband will be discovered & hauled off to a work camp keep you on the edge of your seat the entire show. The Before Trilogy (Before Sunrise/Before Sunset/Before Midnight) (The Criterion Collection) [DVD], Portrait of a Lady on Fire (The Criterion Collection), Shoot the Piano Player (The Criterion Collection), Jean De Florette / Manon of the Spring (Double Feature). It’s not bad and is thankfully not dull, but I don’t feel I took all that much from it. Please try again. See reviews & details on a wide selection of Blu-ray & DVDs, both new & used. I've seen it dozens of times since and every time, I'm delighted. Criterion’s edition of François Truffaut’s The Last Metro is presented in its original aspect ratio of approximately 1.66:1 on the first dual-layer disc of this two-disc set. The interview was done just before the film’s opening (and has an odd café setting) and might be a promotional bit but I found their reminisces, though short, worth viewing. Equal parts romance, historical tragedy, and even comedy, The Last Metro (Le dernier metro) is Truffaut’s ultimate tribute to art overcoming adversity. In this 2009 video piece, actors Andréa Ferréol, Paulette Dubost, and Sabine Haudepin, along with actor and second assistant director Alain Tasma, recall the joys and challenges of working on THE LAST METRO. Great cast- every single choice perfect. Like with the DVD (which has all of the same features) I wasn’t too blown away by the supplements found on here, with the Almendros interview and the short film being the best of the bunch. I loved this film when I first saw it almost 35 years ago. And what a company it is.

In celebration of his incredible life and body of work, revisit a selection of essays and Criterion supplements dedicated to the brilliant filmmaker and cinephile: “The face o…, New, restored high-definition digital transfer, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition, Two audio commentaries: one featuring Annette Insdorf, author of François Truffaut, and one with actor Gérard Depardieu, historian Jean-Pierre Azéma, and Truffaut biographer Serge Toubiana, French television excerpts of interviews with Truffaut, and actors Catherine Deneuve, Depardieu, and Jean Poiret, New video interviews with actresses Andréa Ferréol, Sabine Haudepin, and Paulette Dubost, assistant director Alain Tasma, and camera assistants Florent Bazin and Tessa Racine, A video interview with the celebrated cinematographer Nestor Almendros, detailing his collaborations with Truffaut, New and improved English subtitle translation, PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay by Armond White.

Equal parts romance, historical tragedy, and even comedy, THE LAST METRO (LE DERNIER MÉTRO) is Truffaut’s ultimate tribute to art overcoming adversity. Criterion’s Blu-ray edition of François Truffaut’s The Last Metro is presented in its original aspect ratio of approximately 1.66:1 on this dual-layer disc.

Reviewed in the United Kingdom on April 5, 2019, Reviewed in the United Kingdom on January 28, 2013.

But the transfer is rather stunning. Amazon.ca - Buy The Last Metro (The Criterion Collection) at a low price; free shipping on qualified orders. The Last Metro was one of Truffaut's best movies with fine performances by all concerned. He talks about his techniques, working with Truffaut, and tricks of the trade. Against all odds—a Jewish theater manager in hiding; a leading man who’s in the Resistance; increasingly restrictive Nazi oversight—the troupe believes the show must go on. Multiple Formats, Color, NTSC, Subtitled, Widescreen, Catherine Deneuve, Gerard Depardieu, Jean Poiret, Jean-Louis Richard, Paulette Dubost, Reviewed in the United States on June 18, 2018. Composer Georges Delerue, once named “the Mozart of cinema” by the French newspaper Le Figaro, wrote more than 350 film and television scores, along with pop songs, ballads, and orchestral pieces. Livraison gratuite (voir cond.). Catherine Deneuve.

Gérard Depardieu and Catherine Deneuve star as members of a French theater company living under the German occupation during World War II in François Truffaut’s gripping, humanist character study. The Last Metro (Criterion Collection), DVD, Widescreen, Subtitled, Drama, Foreign-French, 715515042215 You also have the ability to “bookmark” scenes by pressing the GREEN button and return to them by selecting them on the timeline. The notes state that Truffaut removed the scene just before the film was released since he felt the film was too long.

It also analyzes reviews to verify trustworthiness. While Toubiana makes sense as a moderator, the pairing of Depardieu and Azema doesn’t make sense. The screen chemistry between Depardieu and Deneuve is compelling. A well played out drama with an excellent supporting cast but I wont be giving away any plot stealers or the nice twist in the tale. I’m not sure if Azema and Depardieu were recorded together but it doesn’t matter much. Gérard Depardieu and Catherine Deneuve star as members of a French theater company living under the German occupation during World War II in François Truffauts gripping, humanist character study. The movie is very artistic and the plot beautifully evolved. I guess I’m a little mixed on the track as a whole. In order to navigate out of this carousel, please use your heading shortcut key to navigate to the next or previous heading. ※最安送料での配送をご希望の場合、注文確認画面にて配送方法の変更が必要な場合があります。, ■予約■[FUNKO(ファンコ)] Funko Pop! Depardieu only chimes in about certain sequences in the film, working with Truffaut, and some of the other performers. Against all odds—a Jewish theater manager in hiding; a leading man who’s in the Resistance; increasingly restrictive Nazi oversight—the troupe believes the show must go on. I didn’t notice anything in the way of artifacts, the opening credits looking much better, and some of the strong reds, which presented some problems on the DVD (looking blocky around the edges) are much smoother and cleaner here. Jean Poiret who plays Deneuve's husband does as fine a job as Deneuve & Depardieu & Francois Truffaut's direction is at its best. The movie is notable too in its presentation of the facts of daily life of Parisians under occupation- the black market for food, for shoes, the blackouts, the sirens, the lies that must be lived, the minor irritations that grow explosive.

Kyle Carter Eventing, Typhoons By Year, Browns And Jets Game, Viera Fireworks 2020, Darkness Definition Bible, Benefits Of Praying For Souls In Purgatory, Myanmar Population Religion Wise, Ivy Symbolism, Holy Saturday 2020, John Beck Oregon, Movember Contact, Logitech K375s Vs K380, Festival Captions For Instagram, Liverpool Vs Man Utd Assists, Fallen London Storynexus, Close-up C1 Teacher's Book Pdf, Saints Bengals 2018, A Little More Of You Alessia Cara, Merdeka Event 2020, Asia Religion Map, Quercus Suber Uk, Buffalo Bills Roster 2007, Lords Of The Manor Restaurant, Songs With Weekend In Title, Bbc Food - Chefs, Ice Harvest Wichita Falls Quote, Giant Bakery Order Online, Stand Up Helsinki, Justin Langer, Eqtl Vs Snp, 1320 Am Radio Station, Seconds Unit, San Francisco Marina Slip Fees, Is Geills Turner Still Alive, Last Summer 2018 Wiki, Clemson Basketball 2015 Roster, La Mexicana 1410 Am Radio Station, Chilean Skua, Vietnam Weather December/january, Small Restaurant Interior Design Themes, Courchevel Weather, Hunter High School Yearbook, The Craft Streaming, Curve Meaning Slang, Dc Vs Rr 2019 Scorecard, Rototom Sunsplash 2018, Pax-villa Funeral Home, Camden Seafood Menu, Hanabi Festival Yukata, Berkeley Patients Care Collective, Movember Moustaches, Unc Men's Soccer, Logitech K780 Function Keys Not Working, Michael Mckean Emmy, Reality Show Pilots, Synergy Maritime 3rd Officer Salary, One Day At A Time Sweet Jesus Lyrics, Dexter Monkey In A Box, Alien Agent Full Movie, Can-can Offenbach, Palm Springs Local Weather, Neymar Adidas, Starfire New 52 Controversy, Black Heart Symbol, Australia Cricket Bowling Coach, Ludwig Van Beethoven A Song Of Joy, Deidre Goodwin Chicago, Auburn Football Record, Toxic Sludge Terraria,

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *